Rail Access Now Protest
X by X took part in the Rail Access Now Protest which was organised by Transport for All (Tfa) and Bromley and Croydon Disabled People Against Cuts (DPAC). The protest aimed to raise awareness and hopefully over turn the decision to defer the funding to make St. Mary’s Cray and Petts Wood train stations accessible by a further five years.
Transport for All: It is a cause for national shame that in 2017 only 1/5 (1) rail stations have step free access. Transport for All’s helpline receives calls daily describing the unacceptable treatment faced by so many Disabled and older travellers…
That’s why our Disabled and older people are calling on the Government and train operating companies to:
- Reverse the shameful decision to defer 50% of Access for All step free funding
- Let Disabled and older people Turn-Up-and-Go like everyone else
- Ensure working audio-visual announcements are on every train and platform
- Allow mobility scooters on every train
- Stop staff cuts and give assistance at every train and station
- Guarantee fully accessible trains with working accessible facilities
- Uphold a clear standard for accessibility in the franchising process
Click her for full article on Transport for All’s website
The #RailAccessNow Protest was a massive success as we were able to get 525 people to sign the petition to make stations like St Mary cray and Petts wood train stations accessible.