X by X Bromley - A Community Interest Company
ballot box

Voter ID pilot – Please read this, you NEED your ID to vote!

We are taking part in a pilot scheme, run by the Cabinet Office, that will mean voters within the borough will need to show ID before they can vote next May.


Joining Bromley are Gosport, Swindon, Watford and Woking who have also volunteered to take part in the trial and it is likely to be the first in a series of pilots to allow the Electoral Commission and Cabinet Office to evaluate the impact of asking for ID before a decision is taken on whether or not to roll it out nationally.


The move comes after reports of alleged electoral fraud through voter impersonation more than doubled between 2014 and 2016, according to national figures from the Electoral Commission.

Many countries around the world have already made it a requirement to prove identity at a polling station including Northern Ireland.


Click here for video


What ID can I bring?

To vote at a polling station in London Borough Bromley on 3 May 2018 you must take either one of the following:

  • a passport issued by the United Kingdom, a Commonwealth country or a member state of the European Union
  • a photocard driving licence (including a provisional licence) issued in the United Kingdom or by a Crown Dependency, or by a member State of the European Union
    an electoral identity card issued under section 13C (electoral identity card: Northern Ireland) of the Representation of the People Act 1983
  • a biometric immigration document issued in the United Kingdom in accordance with regulations made under section 5 of the UK Borders Act 2007
  • an identity card issued in the European Economic Area
  • an Oyster 60+ London Pass
  • a Freedom Pass (London)
  • a PASS scheme card (national proof of age standards scheme)


Or two of the following (one of which must show your registered address):

  • a valid bank or building society debit card or credit card
  • a poll card for the poll
  • a driving licence (including a provisional licence) which is not in the form of a photocard.
  • a birth certificate
  • a marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • an adoption certificate
  • a firearms certificate granted under the Firearms Act 1968
    the record of a decision on bail made in respect of the voter in accordance with section 5(1) of the Bail Act 1976
  • a bank or building society cheque book
  • a mortgage statement dated within 3 months of the date of the poll
  • a bank or building society statement dated within 3 months of the date of the poll
  • a credit card statement dated within 3 months of the date of the poll
  • a utility bill dated within 3 months of the date of the poll
  • a council tax demand letter or statement dated within 12 months of the date of the poll
  • a Form P45 or Form P60 dated within 12 months of the date of the poll


What if I cannot provide any of the ID listed above?
You can apply for a postal vote or proxy vote or you can apply for a Certificate of Identity.
To apply for a Certificate of Identity you will need to complete an application form.
Download the Certificate of Identity application form. Alternatively copies are available at Main Reception, Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley BR1 3UH.
Applications must be made in writing and include:

  • the applicants full name
  • the applicants registered address
  • confirmation that the applicant would not be able to provide any of the documents listed above
  • the date of the application
  • a declaration by the applicant that the information provided in the application is true
  • The application must include an attestation in writing from a person of good standing in the community (examples are given on the form) and
  • confirm that the applicant is the person named in the application.
  • be signed by a person who the Returning Officer is satisfied is of good standing in the community
  • registered as an elector in an electoral area in England and Wales
  • is not the spouse, civil partner, parent, grandparent, brother, sister, child or grandchild of the applicant and
  • has not already signed an attestation for or two or more applicants
  • It should state the full name, date of birth, address, electoral number and occupation of the person signing the attestation
  • State the date on which it is made

Completed applications must be submitted in person at Main Reception, Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley BR1 3UH by 5pm on Wednesday 2 May 2018.
Upon receipt of a successful application, a Certificate of Identity will be provided to the applicant for them to take to the Polling Station to enable them to vote.


What if I am acting as a proxy for someone else?
You, as the proxy, need to take your ID to the polling station. You do not need to take the elector’s ID.
What is the procedure in the Polling Station?

Go to the desk and give your ID to the staff
Tell the staff your name and address and if your ID is acceptable, they will issue you with a ballot paper
Take your ballot paper to the voting booth
Read the instructions in the booth and mark your ballot paper
When you have marked your ballot paper, fold it so that nobody can see how you have voted
Put your folded ballot paper into the ballot box
If you need any help, please ask the staff


How is Bromley Council going to inform people about the ID requirements?
It is essential that every eligible elector is made aware of the requirement to identify themselves before they can vote. They will be made aware of the need to do so by an extensive public awareness raising campaign designed and delivered by the Local Authority in partnership with the Cabinet Office and Electoral Commission.


More frequently asked questions
What happens if people don’t have ID? Will they be turned away?
The Cabinet Office is working with local authorities to make sure every eligible elector knows that they need to bring ID to a polling station to vote – there will be extensive and tailored awareness raising campaigns in each pilot authority and care will be taken to ensure that electors are able to provide adequate identification. If they are unable to do so they will not be able to vote.
What happens if I have a postal vote?
There is no change to the postal voting process. When you apply for a postal vote you provide ‘personal identifiers’ (a specimen of your signature and your date of birth) and these are used to confirm your identity when you complete your postal vote.

Electoral services
Tel: 0300 303 8665
Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH