X by X Bromley - A Community Interest Company

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA)


Click here to download a PDF version of this article.

Click one of the links below to jump to that section:

Which benefit – DLA or PIP?

Extra costs

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA) are benefits that are meant to cover the extra costs that disabled people face.

The charity Scope estimates that on average disabled people face unavoidable extra costs of £550 per month as a result of being disabled.

Over 16

PIP has now replaced DLA for disabled adults over the age of 16.

Over 65

If you get DLA and were 65 or over on 8 April 2013 you will keep getting DLA.

Under 16

If you are disabled and under 16 you will still need to claim DLA.

Over 65

If you’re 65 or over, you can apply for Attendance Allowance.

Over 16

Everyone else aged 16 and over will need to claim PIP instead – even if you have a ‘lifetime’ or ‘indefinite’ award for DLA.


You won’t automatically move over to PIP. You’ll get a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) asking you to make a new claim.

Apply within 4 weeks

You’ll need to make a claim for PIP within 4 weeks of getting your letter or your DLA will be suspended.

If your pay is suspended, you’ll need to claim for PIP within 4 weeks of the start of your suspension or your DLA will be stopped completely.

Call more time

Call the PIP claim line if you need more time. The DWP might give you an extension and continue to pay your DLA.

2) Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

DLA extra costs

What is DLA?

Disabled children under 16 can apply for DLA to help with the extra costs of being disabled.

Mobility and care components

DLA is divided into a “care component” and a “mobility component”. You can apply for both.

Pay different rates

These are paid at different rates depending how much support you need.

Who can apply?

To get DLA one of the following must apply:

Help dressing

• The child needs more support than a child of the same age who isn’t disabled (for example, help washing, dressing or using the toilet).

Support to travel

• The child needs support to get around.

Calendar page

The child must have had these support needs for at least 3 months and expect them to last for at least 6 months.

Terminal illness

If they’re terminally ill and not expected to live more than 6 months it does not matter how long they have had these support needs for.

What you get

Care payment per week

Care component per week

  • Lowest – £22
  • Middle – £55.65
  • Highest – £83.10
Mobility payment per week

Mobility component per week

  • Lower – £22
  • Higher – £58
Pay Motability

You can arrange for some or all of the mobility component to be paid direct to Motability for a car, scooter or powered wheelchair.

Parent or guardian

Applying for DLA

You can claim DLA for a child as long as you look after them as if you’re their parent.

Application form

Use the DLA claim form to apply for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children under 16. The form tells you where to send your application.

You can order a printed form by telephoning the Disability Living Allowance helpline. The helpline is open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

Telephone: 0345 712 3456

textphone 400 copy

Textphone: 0345 722 4433

No backdating DLA


DLA claims cannot be backdated.

Date call made

If you called the helpline the date of the claim is taken from when you first called to ask for a claim form.

Date letter received

If you post a downloaded form, the date of the claim will be the date it is received.

16th Birthday

Turning 16

When disabled children on DLA turn 16 they need to apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

Letter from DWP

They will get a letter sent:

  • shortly after their 16th birthday
  • when they leave hospital, if they were in hospital on their 16th birthday
  • about 20 weeks before their DLA award ends, if they were awarded DLA under the rules for people who are terminally ill
Date in letter

DLA payments will stop unless they apply for PIP by the date given in the letter.

If they apply by the date given in the letter, they’ll continue to receive DLA until their claim is assessed.

3) Personal Independence Payments (PIP)

Extra costs

What is PIP?

Disabled adults between the ages of 16 and 64 can apply for PIP to help with the extra costs of being disabled.

Mobility and daily living components

PIP is divided into two parts, the “daily living part” and the “mobility part”. You can apply for both.

These are paid at different rates depending how much support you need.

Who can apply

Who can apply?

You can get PIP if you are in or out of paid work. It does not matter if you have savings and how much. It does not matter if you live alone or with someone else. You can still apply.

disability symbol

To get PIP you must have a health condition or disability where you:

• have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for 3 months.

9 months

• expect these difficulties to continue for at least 9 months (unless you’re terminally ill with less than 6 months to live).

Resident in Britain 2-years

You must have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years, and be in one of these countries when you apply.

Daily living per week

What you get

Daily Living per week

  • Standard – £ 55.65
  • Enhanced – £83.10
Mobility payment per week

Mobility per week

  • Standard – £22
  • Enhanced – £58
Pay into bank

PIP is usually paid directly into your bank account.

simple payment

If you are unable to open or manage an account, you can ask for a Simple Payments card. To find out more go to: https://www.gov.uk/simple-payment

How to apply

Making a claim

Call DWP

You can make a new Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Someone else can call on your behalf, but you need to be with them when they call.

can't phone

If you find it difficult to use a telephone there are other ways to apply.

To apply you need to call the PIP claims- line. This is open Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm.

Telephone: 0800 917 2222

textphone 400 copy

Textphone: 0800 917 7777

Apply phone

Before you call, you’ll need the following information:

  • your contact details, for example telephone number
  • your date of birth
  • your National Insurance number – this is on letters about tax, pensions and benefits
  • your bank or building society account number and sort code
  • your doctor or health worker’s name, address and telephone number
  • any dates and addresses for any time you’ve spent abroad, in a care home or hospital
How your disability affects you

‘How your disability affects you’ form

After you make a claim, you’ll be sent a ‘How your disability affects you’ form.

Other formats

If you need the form in an accessible format such as braille, large print or audio CD call the PIP enquiry line.

Telephone: 0800 121 4433

textphone 400 copy

Textphone: 0800 121 4493

Fill a form

Fill in the form using the notes that come with it to help you and send it back to the DWP at the address on the form.



To work out what level of support you will be awarded, you will be invited to go for an assessment.

Letter from DWP

You will get a letter with information about where to go for the assessment and when.

Missed assessment claim turned down

You must go to your assessment otherwise your PIP claim will be rejected and you’ll have to start the application process all over again.

Call assessment centre

Contact the assessment centre straight away if you can’t make your appointment or if you’ve already missed it. You have to have a good reason for them to rearrange it. The number to contact is on your appointment letter.

Ask to change decision - missed appointment

If your PIP claim is rejected because you missed your assessment, you can ask the DWP to change this decision. See the section below about how to challenge a decision.

7 days notice for assessment

You must have been given at least 7 days’ written notice of the assessment date (unless you agreed to a shorter notice period).


You can ask for a home visit if you cannot get to the assessment for disability related reasons. You may be asked to provide medical evidence including a letter from GP to prove you need a home visit.

Long distance to assessment

Home visits might also be offered if you live a long way away from the assessment centre.


You can ask if you can make an audio recording of the assessment – you must do this 3 days before your assessment and ask the centre about the rules for using recording equipment.

Take someone with you to assessment

It is a good idea to always have someone with you when you have your assessment.

Travel expenses

You can get travel expenses for going to your assessment paid back to you including parking. If you take someone with you to the assessment, their travel costs can also be paid back but only if they travel with you. Ask the receptionist at the assessment centre how to do this.

Citizen’s Advice have put together information about how to prepare for your assessment which you can find here:


They have also put together a “PIP assessment help sheet” which they recommend you print out and take to your assessment with you:


Decision letter

After the assessment you will get a letter telling you what the decision is about your claim.

Access needs – other ways to claim

Application form

You can get a form to send information by post (although this can delay the decision on your claim). To ask for the form write to:

Personal Independence Payment

New Claims

Post Handling Site B


WV99 1AH

Text relay

can't phone

If you can’t hear or speak on the phone you can use the Next Generation Text (NGT) relay service:

textphone 400 copy

Dial: 18001 then 0800 917 2222

Open Monday-Friday, 8am-6pm


If you’re Deaf and use British Sign Language (BSL) you may be able to use a video relay service.

Terminal illness

If you’re terminally ill

You can get PIP more quickly if you’re not expected to live more than 6 months.

Call DWP

Call the PIP claim-line to start your application.

Doctor form

Ask a doctor or other healthcare professional to fill in a form DS1500. They’ll either fill it in and give the form to you or send it directly to DWP.

No meeting or form

You won’t need to complete the ‘How your disability affects you’ form or go to a face-to-face consultation.

4)Challenging a DLA decision

Disagree decision

If you think a Disability Living Allowance decision is wrong for any reason you can:

Ask reasons

• Ask for a written explanation or ‘statement of reasons’

Look at again

• Have the decision looked at again – ‘mandatory reconsideration’

A Judge

If you are still not satisfied with the decision you can appeal against the decision to an independent tribunal.

Mandatory Reconsideration

Look at again

Mandatory Reconsideration is where the Department for Work and Pensions looks over the decision that the assessor has made. They will then contact you to let you know if they agree with the original decision or they are changing it.

Agree with decision

Most Mandatory Reconsiderations agree with the original decision. This does not mean that it is not worth going on to the next stage in appealing.

barrier to work

There is a higher chance of success at the Mandatory Reconsideration stage if you can show new evidence of the reasons why you face barriers to work.

To find out how to ask for Mandatory Reconsideration go to:


Disagree decision

If you are not happy with the Mandatory Reconsideration decision, you can ask the courts to appeal. Appeals must be sent within one month of the Mandatory Reconsideration decision.

Fill a form


To appeal you need to fill in an appeal form SSCS1.

A Judge

You will need to send all your evidence for a judge to look at.

For more information and to find out about late appeals go to:


5) Motability

Pay Motability

The Motability Scheme enables disabled people to use their PIP or DLA mobility component to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair.

For information about the Motability Scheme go to:


Mobility application rejected

If you are not successful in re-applying for the enhanced mobility rate of PIP or higher rate of DLA you will no longer be able to lease a vehicle from Motability.

8 weeks to return car

You will have around eight weeks from when your allowance payments end to return your car.

Letter from Motability

Motability will write to you giving you all the information you need. You may also be eligible for a pro-rata refund of any Advance Payment you made.

Transition funding

There is a transitional support scheme in place to help people who have to give back their vehicles.

The amount of support you can get depends on when you joined the scheme. For example, for customers who joined the Scheme before 2013 and return the car within eight weeks, £2000 will be available.

For more information and a full list of the support available go to:


6) Attendance Allowance

Over 65

Disabled people who are aged 65 can get Attendance Allowance to help with personal support costs.

Pay different rates

The amount you get depends on how high your support needs are. You could get £55.65 or £83.10 a week.

No mobility

It doesn’t cover mobility needs.


You could get extra Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction if you get Attendance Allowance.

To make a claim contact the Attendance Allowance helpline:

Telephone: 0800 731 0122

textphone 400 copy

Textphone: 0800 731 0317

Fill a form

You can also download the attendance allowance claim form to apply by post. The form comes with notes telling you how to fill it in.

Apply by mail

Send the completed form to:

Attendance Allowance Unit

Mail Handling Site A


WV98 2AD

Letter from DWP

After you make a claim you might get a letter saying you need to attend an assessment to check your eligibility. The letter will explain why and where you must go.

For more information go to:


7) Carer’s Allowance

unpaid carer

If someone provides unpaid support (“care”) for you for at least 35 hours per week they might be able to get carer’s allowance.

For them to get carer’s allowance you need to be getting certain benefits like:

  • Personal Independence Payment – daily living component
  • Disability Living Allowance – the middle or highest care rate
  • Attendance Allowance

For a full list of eligible benefits see:



Carer’s Allowance is £62.70 a week. You have to pay tax on it if your income is over the Personal Allowance.

Council Tax Reduction

If you get Carer’s Allowance you might also be able to get other help and benefits such as Council Tax Reduction.

Apply by mail

Or you can download the claim form and apply by post:


For more information go to: